Oh, hiiiii there! Long, loooong time, no talk. I knew I’d make it back here one of these days. It’s been an interesting and exciting past month around these parts. I’ve happily started to find a groove with my schedule, had a great trip home, spent some time with my favorite little girl [.. and the rest of my family], and spent some QT with the hubs.
One of my favorite things to do with Nathan is take a walk to the farmers’ market every Saturday. The fruit we’ve been getting lately has been out of this world and I knew I had to put some of it to good use for this month’s Recipe ReDux.
Tucked in a crust, nothing says love from the oven like pie. Whether it’s a twist on the all-American apple pie or a traditional recipe from your home country, give a healthy makeover to your favorite savory or sweet pie recipe.
This dessert came together in just a matter of minutes and is the perfect single-serving size. And the best part? Aside from the peanut butter, of course, is the secret ingredient, chia seeds. They serve as a thickener for the filling and are also a great source of Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids, protein, nutrients that help support bone health, such as calcium and magnesium. Happy dessert-ing!
Single Serving PB&J Pie Parfait
- 5 mini or 1 1/2 regular Reese’s Oreos
- 3/4 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 tbsp chia seed
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 strawberries; sliced
- In a food processor, combine the cashew milk, chia seed, and peanut butter. Set aside in a small bowl for 1-2 hours and allow to thicken.
- After the peanut butter mix has thickened, place the Oreos and coconut oil in a food processor and blend until they come together.
- Press 1/3 of the mix into a small glass and top with 1/2 of the peanut butter mixture and 1/2 of the strawberry slices.
- Sprinkle another 1/3 of the Oreo mix on top with the other 1/2 of the peanut butter mixture and the other sliced strawberry.
- Sprinkle the remaining Oreo mix on top and dig in!
270 Calories / 18g Fat / 21g Carbs / 7g Fiber / 7g Sugar / 9g Protein
Food for Thought
What is your favorite pie?