Happy Mother’s Day!
I have a chocolate-y treat for you today that you won’t want to pass up. They’re gluten-free, paleo, and sweetened with fruit! Dried plums, to be specific. But don’t go running!
When was the last time you tried a dried plum? They’re delicious! A little sweet, a little tart, and chewy like candy. Not to mention, each serving is just 100 calories, provides 3g of fiber, 293mg of potassium, 16mg of magnesium, and more vitamin K than any other fresh or dried fruit. And in honor of May’s National Osteoporosis Month, why not give them a try?
Almond Butter STUFFED Brownie Bites
- 3oz. California Dried Plums [about 12-15 dried plums]
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk [I used cashew milk]
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp coconut oil; melted
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp almomd butter; divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Frosting
- 1/4 cup chocolate nut butter*
- 2-4 tbsp milk
*If you don’t have chocolate nut butter, you can sub regular nut butter and add cocoa powder. You will need to increase the amount of milk if you do this.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the dried plums in a food processor and process into a paste. You may need to stop and scrape the sides down a few times.
- Add the vanilla, milk, applesauce, coconut oil, and 1/4 cup almond butter to the bowl and process until smooth.
- Add in the egg and pulse a few times until just incorporated.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients to the bowl, pulse a few times to get it started, and finish incorporating completely by hand.
- Using a 1/2 tbsp, scoop the mix into 16 mini muffin tins.
- With a 1/2 tsp, scoop almond butter on top of the brownie bite base.
- Finish off with another 1/2 tbsp of the mix to cover the almond butter and place in the oven for 8-9 minutes.
- While baking, make your frosting. Add the ingredients to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir together until smooth.
- Remove the bites from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.
75 Calories / 5g Fat / 6g Carbs / 2g Fiber / 3g Sugar / 2g Protein
Now who wouldn’t want to snack on that today?! And because I can’t make these for my mom today, you should!
Don’t miss out an all of the California Dried Plum recipes from all of the other ReDux-ers!
And, of course, happy mother’s day to my mom! I wish I could be with you today to celebrate how awesome you’ve always been and always are for me. But hey, if you want to come out here again, I have some brownie bites waiting for you!
Food for Thought
Are you a dried plum fan?
How are you celebrating your mother’s day?
Disclosure: I received free samples of California Dried Plums mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by California Dried Plum Board and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.